Monday, December 2, 2013

Savory Gluten Free Quinoa Stuffing



Well, I experimented with going gluten free this Thanksgiving and it turned out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.  I have since made a few minor adjustments to my pumpkin pie recipe but the quinoa stuffing was fabulous.  In previous years,  I've always done a traditional turkey sausage and cornbread stuffing. (No, I am not vegan/vegetarian. I hope that I have not just disappointed anyone).  Having said that,  I am trying to stay away from gluten, corn and dairy more and more as I seem to feel better with less and for other reasons, as well.  I am also trying to show those who just can not tolerate gluten or dairy, that there are so many wonderful ways to still enjoy your favorite foods! The biggest part of being gluten free and dairy free a success is using plenty of seasoning and enough fat for flavor.  

I tend to not measure things when I am creating ,which is why I'm not a very good baker, so what I have written down here for the quinoa stuffing may need a little bit of tweaking with the amounts, but I think, I've been able to duplicate it pretty well here. 
 Please use as many organic ingredients as possible.

Serves 10

2 cups uncooked Red Quinoa-rinsed
4 cups chicken stock or Vegetable stock
1 tsp Real salt

2 cups chopped celery
2 chopped yellow onions
3 tsp freshly minced Rosemary
3 tsp freshly minced thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/3 cup currents
3-4 Tbsp orange juice
Additional Real Salt if needed
1/2 cup Clarified Butter * or olive or safflower oil
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

* clarified butter is what is left after the milk fat and water are removed and usually is fine for people with dairy allergies.  It has a much higher smoke point than regular butter.  You can make your own or purchase it at TJ's.

Prepare Quinoa by bringing 4 cups of liquid to a boil, add salt and quinoa and reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.  

Preheat oven to 425F

While the Quinoa is cooking, chop your celery and onions and then saute in 2-3 Tbsp of clarified butter or oil over low to medium heat until the onions are translucent.  Add more butter or oil if needed.  Add the herbs, currents and OJ, cooked quinoa and pecans, if you are using them.  Mix all ingredients well together and then place into a glass or ceramic baking dish or you can stuff your turkey with the mixture.  If using a ceramic dish, drizzle the top with some melted butter and place into a preheated oven of 425 F.  Bake for 20 minutes, then stir and bake for another 20 minutes.  The top layer of the stuffing will get a bit crispy which adds some extra crunch and texture, which I love!





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis