Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our tastebuds can change

As I was throwing together a spinach salad the other night, I picked out a leaf and popped it in my mouth and could not believe how sweet it tasted.  And I thought to myself, I wish everyone else could taste what I am tasting.  I know, I'm strange but that is what happens when we side step processed foods which are full of sugar and salt and start eating real food.  Our taste buds change and all of a sudden we are able to taste the slight sweetness of a piece of lettuce. Now, don't get me wrong, I am no angel nor a purist but compared to the average American, I probably eat about 75% less sugar and salt than most Americans. 

Our taste buds have been hijacked by the big food conglomerates such as Coca Cola, General Mills and we need to get our taste buds back.  So,  I would like to invite you to do a fun little experiment. and track how many grams of sugar you consume over a two-three day period. This could be a really fun thing for your kids to be a part of as well. To track the amount of sugar in all of your foods including fruits and veggies, you will have to use the internet for the items without labels.  My favorite source is myfitnesspal.com or there are many others to choose from and have apps available for the iphone. 


1. Here it the drill, track your sugar intake for at least 1 day but preferably 2-3 days to get an average. 

  
2. Next, look at your main sources of sugar intake and see how you can cut your intake of sugar to 100 grams per day without using any sugar alcohols (xylitol, erythritol, sobitol) or sugar substitutes other than stevia.  That means no splenda (aka sucrulose), aspartame, or truvia (it has erythritol, a sugar alcohol in it).  If the label says no or low sugar and it tastes good, more than likely the item has one of these artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohol in it.  You have to read the ingredient label.  

3. After you have determined how many grams of sugar you consume, then try eating only 100 grams per day for seven days and notice how you feel and how your food tastes.  This is a great way to get awareness and of getting back to the basics and eating more like our ancestors ate.  



Have some fun with this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis